After all of the hustle and bustle of the holidays it’s hard to be in the mood for home cooking in January. So I rely a lot on my slow cooker, you just can’t go wrong! I’m always on the look out for new and interesting recipes (not to mention simple, a girl only has so many hours in the day!) and came across this one. Healthy and light, but filling and simple – Perfection.
I just had to share.
- 4 cups torn spinach
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup commercial pesto
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) carton fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (25.5-ounce) bottle fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1 (8-ounce) package precooked lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
- Arrange the spinach in a vegetable steamer; steam, covered, 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Drain, squeeze dry, and coarsely chop. Combine spinach, mushrooms, and pesto in a medium bowl, stirring to combine; set aside.
- Combine mozzarella, provolone, ricotta, and beaten egg in a medium bowl, stirring well to combine. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan, and set aside. Combine the pasta sauce and the tomato sauce in a medium bowl.
- Spread 1 cup pasta sauce mixture in the bottom of a 6-quart oval electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over pasta sauce mixture; top with 1 cup cheese mixture and 1 cup spinach mixture. Repeat the layers, ending with spinach mixture. Arrange 3 noodles over spinach mixture; top with remaining 1 cup cheese mixture and 1 cup pasta sauce mixture. Place remaining 3 noodles over sauce mixture; spread remaining sauce mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Cover with lid; cook on LOW 5 hours or until done.