- Re/max Dynamic Properties
Being green and earth-friendly is easier than one may think. Not only are these tips beneficial to the environment, but they are also easy on the wallet.
1. Change regular light bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs. - uses 75 percent less energy and will last about 10 times longer than an incandescent bulb, so you're not only saving energy but money, too.
2. Power down computers every night. - Leaving computers on all the time shortens their lifetime due to heat stress and mechanical wear.
3. Recycle what you can.
4. Cut down on junk mail. - The Direct Marketing Association has an online free service that allows you to opt out of catalogs and junk mail. Yellow Pages has an online service to cancel the phone book.
5. Use a programmable thermostat. - Setting your thermostat three to five degrees lower while you are asleep and when no one is at home will lower your utilities bills and save energy.
6. Make sure all unnecessary lights are turned off. - Leaving lights on is a huge drain on electricity.
7. Turn down the thermostat on your hot water heater. - Your home only requires your hot water heater to be set at 120 degrees, but some manufacturers have set their heaters to 140 degrees, a temperature that can be scalding. Can save you between 6 to 10 percent in energy bills.
8. Unplug cell phone chargers when not in use. - Even when your phone isn't being charged, your charger is using electricity.
9. Use eco-friendly cleaning products.
10. Turn off water while brushing your teeth. - The EPA claims you can save eight gallons of water a day if everyone in your household turns off the water while they brush their teeth in the morning and at night.